Friday Link Love: Just What The Doctor Ordered

Friday, January 29, 2010

If you didn't hear, Moonrat over at Editorial Ass put up a post about "Write Your @ss Off Day." The idea is to choose one day and devote it completely (as completely as you can anyway) to writing. My pick is Saturday, February 6th. Bonus: they put together an interactive map.  What could be more fun?  OK, well I can think of a couple of things, but I signed up anyway--and you should too.  If you go explore the map, I'm the little guy sitting all alone in Baghdad. :D

I decided to start a tradition here at WSMG--my first! Each Friday I'll post the best of what I've seen around the intertubes recently--everything from hardcore writing tutorials to items that make me laugh. If you have a post you'd like me to include, drop me a note and I'll put it in!

But first, a joke. Note: I said "a joke," not a funny joke or good joke, but a joke. I tend toward groaners, puns, and humor dry as the desert, so consider yourself warned.

The Doctor's Visit

A writer goes to a doctor. The doctor eyes the man with concern because the man looks dog tired.

"What seems to be the problem," the doctor asks.

"Doctor, you have to help me," the man says. "I haven't slept much lately, and it's killing me. I haven't been able to write a word."

"Why haven't you been sleeping?"

"Nightmares keep waking me up."

"Nightmares?"

"Yes. First, I dream I'm a wigwam. The idea scares me so much, I wake up in a cold sweat."

"Go on."

"After I finally fall back asleep, I dream I'm a teepee. Again I wake up in a cold sweat."

The doctor smiles knowlingly. "Ah, I see."

"What it is?"

"It's very simple. You're too tents."
:)

And now for some fun Friday Link Love:

  • Hello, Hello? Query As A Phonecall: Diana over at Writing Rollercoasters--who is not, as it turns out, a fairy :)--wrote up this revealing and hilarious discussion about the etiquette of query response.  Reading the post, I was laughing so much my fellow cubicle denizens were giving me funny looks and I knew a lot more about the subject when I was done--and you can't beat that, in my book!
  • Adverbs Are Evil: Heather let loose the Ninjadillo (like the Dogs 'o War, but oh so much more vicious!) on all those stinking adverbs over at her blog, See Heather Write. I tell ya, after reading this post, my adverb-laden verbiage doesn't stand a chance.
  • Grub Street Fiction Course: Carrie has a great series of posts on her site Heim Binas Fiction detailing tips from a recent six-part fiction course at Grub Street. The posts give awesome pointers in a ton of different areas.
  • What Point of View? Sophie Masson, one of the many hard working writers over at Writer Unboxed, writes up a fantastic outline on the things to consider when choosing a POV for your WIP.  Thanks Valerie for pointing that one out.  Valerie's site, Something To Write About, is also a great place to stop by and hang out.
  • The Road: A Comedic Translation: Jacob Lambert at The Millions masterfully parodies Cormac McCarthy's "The Road." This is an older link, but I was rolling on the floor laughing as I read it, so I couldn't bear to leave it out.
Enjoy! And, as always, thanks for reading.

EDIT: I just heard that J. D. Salinger passed on Wednesday. Full obit. You can find some of his other work, including Nine Stories here.  The man wrote with such an authentic voice.  I'm still chasing it after all these years.

7 bolts from the blue:

Liza said...

Thanks for the links (and the groan!).

glnroz said...

you ain't right,,lolol(joke)..

Postman said...

This is just too much of a serendipitous coincidence. A fellow pilot who (a) writes fiction and (b) enjoys puns? And here I thought I was the only one! We should start a club.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I think I might have to become a follower here. This looks like some interesting stuff.

P.S. Rest in Pieces, J.D. Salinger. His was quite a unique voice. I'm still trying to untangle a personal style from Stephen King, Douglas Adams, and Tolkien.

Postman said...

Oh, and P.S.--my Dad just dumped a box of his old books on the floor of my room. John Knowles's "A Separate Peace" was one of the ten inside. COINCIDENCE?!

Elana Johnson said...

I love all these links! You could totally do the pulse for us on QT! Thanks!

Jon Paul said...

Liza & Glenn--there's more where that came from!

Postman--I'm in! We should start a "guys" blog--just to annoy the ladies. Maybe call it "Men With Pens" or something like that.

And I believe in COINCIDENCE just like you--and that IS a strange coincidence.

Thanks Elana. I'm available and my rates are bargain-basement low! :)

Thanks for stopping by guys!

Postman said...

There you go. A man's man's blog. "Men with Pens" has got a ring to it. Flying, fiction, travel, humor, and some booze at the end of the day. Sounds good.

Waddaya wanna say?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

©2010 by Jon Paul | by San Antonio Web Design