Itaska, can you hear me?

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I only just now walked home from a viewing of "Amelia," the new flick about Amelia Earhart starring Hilary Swank. 

Movie Link Here

For me, the film was very take it or leave it.  The script suffered from a lack of character development, a typical flaw of recent historical dramas and a phenomena I see cropping up more and more in recent Hollywood films.   

Though the acting generated some heat and the directing was acceptable, "Amelia" needed a heartbeat--a longing or desire or life's dream (beyond the generic and formless "I really want to fly!")--to make the story go.  Unfortunately, the writers (Ron Bass and Anna Hamilton Phelan) didn't install one.

The truth is they don't make 'em like they used to.  Anymore, we never see characters like George Bailey or Rose Sayer that walk, talk and sweat character.  Even our old friend William Wallace of "Braveheart" fame showed more promise than Amelia, trying to wing her way around the world.

So I grade the film average.  Worth a viewing if you have nothing else going.  That, class, concludes our movie review for today.  And I won't give away the ending.  Promise.

0 bolts from the blue:

Waddaya wanna say?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

©2010 by Jon Paul | by San Antonio Web Design