Literary Straitjacket

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"The good writing of any age has always been the product of someone's neurosis, and we'd have a mighty dull literature if all the writers that came along were a bunch of happy chuckleheads."

~~William Styron


7 bolts from the blue:

Laura said...

Isn't that the truth! I've seen so many times how beauty emerges from dark places...That's how all the great books were born.

Scott said...

So first, you give me the Sugar Doll award, and then you imply I'm neurotic. Hmmmm . . .

S

glnroz said...

new ideas have to come from somewhere, dont they? ,,lol,,we cant all be crazy, or can we,, humm..

j.m. neeb said...

Probably shouldn't openly admit to this as much as I do, but I certainly fit the "neurotic" bill...

I wear it like a badge that lets me into the writer's club.

Liza said...

Um, yup.

Postman said...

Gotta have conflict in there somewhere, preferably the most dire possible. Which is a shame for happy chuckleheads like me who like to have characters just lollop along and have fun. Must remember to kill my darlings...

Jon Paul said...

Some of these quotes tend to be more self-descriptive than others. But I gotta agree: neuroses are where I get some of my best ideas!

Waddaya wanna say?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

©2010 by Jon Paul | by San Antonio Web Design