Friday Link Love: The Luck of the Irish

Friday, March 5, 2010

Hi all!  I am back on U. S. soil after a fun-filled journey home from Baghdad.  I don't actually get to my home in Texas until Sunday, but it feels good to be close to seeing the family again.

While I was away, you guys left me a ton of great comments--Wow!  Thanks!  I haven't had a chance to go through them yet, but I will!  I'll respond to the comments and tell you more about my homecoming over the next day or two.

Today, we have a quick issue of Friday Link Love, but first a couple reminders.  Simon of Constant Revision fame is reluctantly hosting a PG Love Scene Blogfest, due to go up on the 15th.  I signed up this morning.  It should be fun!  And don't forget to sign up for the Drunk At First Sight Blogfest I'm hosting, due to run on St. Patrick's Day.

To put us in the mood for St. Patrick's Day, I bring you this Friday Link Love Joke:

An out of work Irish novelist takes a job as a bricklayer to make ends meet.  The first day on the job, the foreman warns the novelist that the scaffolding where he will work gets very unstable in high winds, and the weather that day is expected to be bad.

The novelist wants only to get the bricks laid so he can collect his pay and go home to write.  He ignores the foreman's warning, and climbs high up on the scaffolding.  He manages to lay several courses despite the poor weather.

Finally, a huge gust of wind comes along and knocks the novelist off the scaffolding.  He falls the fifteen feet to the pavement and lays there.  Several other workers run up, they send for an ambulance, and the foreman says to another man: "Quick, get this man a glass of water!"

The Irish novelist looks up at the other men and says wryly: "How far do I have to fall to get a glass of whiskey?"

:D

Now--Link Love:
That's it for this week.  It is truly a pleasure to be back in a similar timezone with all of you, and I look forward to getting back in the swing of things in the next week.  I have picked up a few new followers recently, so if you're not too shy, feel free to introduce yourself to the group in the comments below!

Stay groovy and thanks for stopping by.

13 bolts from the blue:

j.m. neeb said...

Welcome back home!! Glad to hear you made it back safe and sound.

Can't wait until the Battle Plan resumes...

glnroz said...

good job, and welcome back,,,

Claire Dawn said...

Welcome back. Even though I'm not from America. And even if I was I live in Japan now. BUt you get the point! lol!

lol@ giving love to Nathan :D

Portia said...

Wow, I feel honored to be mentioned in "Link Love." :-)

Can I add I'm looking forward to the PG Love blogfest? What a challenge!

Have safe travels home to Texas!

Liza said...

Glad you are safe and sound on US soil!

Jessie Oliveros said...

Thanks for the link! Welcome back to the USA :)

Amber Tidd Murphy said...

welcome home. i like your link love feature. looking forward to checking out jessie's post. i heart funny bloggers.

Heather said...

Welcome home!! And thanks for the link love :)

Postman said...

Welcome back, my friend! Hope it wasn't too agonizing a journey. None of us enjoyed your absence, though you left some rather neat posts behind...

Height of irony. I have a bottle of Bushmills in my liquor cabinet now. Got it at CVS for $12.99. Didn't have to fall for it, either.

Donna Hole said...

Intriguing. I'm hooked on you.

.........dhole

Brittany Laneaux said...

By the time you read this...you will be back home! Congratulations and welcome. Texas is the place to be!

Meghan Ward said...

Welcome home! Saw The Hurt Locker last night. Have you seen it? What did you think?

Jon Paul said...

J.M.--Thanks. It is indeed good to be back. Battle Plan is high on the list.

Glen--Thanks also.

Claire--yeah, It still blows my mind when I think about how international this little online writing community is. So I do get your meaning.

Portia, Liza, Jessie, Amber, Heather--Sure thing. And did I mention it's good to be home? :D

Postie--Sounds like a rocking good time!

Donna--Wow! Thanks.

Brittany--Texas is truly home, for me now more than ever. We're here until May, then we head off to Sicily for two years, so I'm enjoying it while I can.

Meghan--No, I haven't seen it, but I've heard good things about it. It's on my TBV list--will pass some notes when I do see it.

Thanks all for commenting and for stopping by!

Waddaya wanna say?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

©2010 by Jon Paul | by San Antonio Web Design