The Road More Traveled

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

As I write this, I sit at the kitchen table at my house in Corpus Christi, Texas, sipping a hot cup of foo foo coffee, having risen from a restful sleep, content in the knowledge that I'm not going anywhere for awhile.  None of the rest of the clan is up yet--Furnace Girl, Muffin and the pets are still sleeping soundly--birds chirp outside (a corny detail yes but true), and I feel great at having finally come to rest back in the place I call (at least for now) home.

My trip home from Baghdad was rather involved.  It would take much too long to relate the entire story, but it may suffice to share some of the gory details.  For example,I started traveling on February 21st and reached home on the 7th of March, so I was on the road living out of seabag for that many days.  This is not to say that I was moving forward every day; some days involved taking care of administrative tasks and turning in equipment, but it was still a long stretch of wandering, no matter how you slice it.

I did some quick back of the napkin calculations: during that time, I flew on ten airplanes, rode on four buses, slept in fourteen different places, ate meals at twenty-seven different locations, and counted every minute.  If I'd just been going from point A to point B, then none of this would have been much trouble.  Instead, the desire to get home to the family after having been away for so long made every bump in the road, every unexpected twist and turn, into an unbearable delay.

But enough of my belly-aching.  That's all over now.  I'm happy to be home getting to know the family again, so all is right with the world!

Awards

Somehow, despite my being absent from the blogosphere for an extended period, I picked up a couple awards.  First, I received the Sunshine Award from not just one person, but three people!

Carol at Carol's Prints

Roz's Nail Your Novel

Postie's Sententious Vaunter

Thanks Carol, Roz and Postie for thinking of me.  Wow!  I am still picking myself up off the floor.  These are three members of our writing community who do great work.  Stop by and pay them a visit.  The rules require me to pass it on to twelve other bloggers, all of whom make me chuckle or regularly brighten my day, so here goes:

Christi's A Torch In The Tempest
Rachel's Does This Font Make My Blog Look Big
Amber's Musings of Amber Murphy
Travener's The Big Litowski
Emily's The Chronicles of Emily Cross
Claire's Points of Claire-ification
Lydia and Joe's The Sharp Angle
Christine's The Writer's Hole
Tabitha's Through My Eyes
Meghan's Writerland
Glen's Differences With The Same Likeness
Damien's Secret October

The above are fantastic writer's and bloggers--every one--so you should make your way over and check them out.  To put the cherry on top, Dawn Simon gave me the Over the Top Award!


Dawn produces great content day after day, so you should also pay her a visit.  I'll wait here until you come back!
...
...
I think the rules for this award require a series of one word answers to questions I have no idea how to get my hands on, but since this post is getting long, I'll call it good for now.

I think that brings us current.  Over the next few days I'll be getting around to see what everyone was up to while I was away, and also saying hi and thanks to my new followers. 

Stick around.  We have lots of fun in store, including the final three posts of my Battle Plan post series, a second post discussing some provocative ideas in "A Separate Peace" (review here if you're interested), a couple of writing craft posts I've had in the works, and the PG Love Scene Blogfest and Drunk At First Sight Blogfest.  Looks like March is gonna be chock full of fun!

So stay groovy, and thanks for stopping by!

21 bolts from the blue:

Travener said...

Hey, thanks for the award. Glad you are finally home with the clan.

Scott said...

Welcome back!

Lydia Sharp said...

Thanks, JP! And welcome back!

Amber Tidd Murphy said...

Nope, couldn't resist coming over to see what you had for me -- it was too tempting!

Thanks for passing the award my way. I shall write a quicky post (like lightning!) and then get some writing done on my lunch hour.

Rachel said...

Aw! Thank you so much for the award! It's my very first, and I'm very excited :)

I was wondering what you've been up to the past few days. The military is really a whole lot of "hurry up and wait", isn't it? I grew up as an USAF brat and then my husband was in the AF for 5 years. I might have already told you that, but I just feel that you should know that I can sympathize! So welcome home! And Corpus Christi is gorgeous, I went there once when I was briefly living in San Antonio. Love it there!

PS: you've got a scared, lost apostrophe in this sentence: "The above are fantastic writer's and bloggers..." :) Normally I wouldn't be a snot and point this out, but considering you used a phrase of the sinners in a comment on my post, I figured it was only fair!!

Laura said...

Jon,I'm so very glad to finally see you enjoying the comfort and safety of your home!

It doesn't matter how long you're away from the blog, when you're good you're good!:)
Congrats on your awards and welcome back!

Christine H said...

Thank you so much for the award, and thank you, thank you, thank you for your service to our country.

If I were twenty years younger and didn't have a family, I believe I would sign up. but I'm pushing 40 and have other responsibilities now, so I have to rely on our incredible, committed, awesome soldiers, sailors and airmen.

Welcome home! And what the heck is "foo-foo coffee?"

Liza said...

Welcome home JP and congratulations on your awards. You deserve them. Looking forward to reading future posts and hearing about next steps.

Meghan Ward said...

Thank you for the link and the award! I'm honored.

Brittany Laneaux said...

That is great that you are back. It hits home because a great friend of mine just returned from Iraq, and he is truly a different person because he was affected. I'll never know all that he saw or dealt with and it breaks my heart to think about.

sarahjayne smythe said...

Welcome home. And thank you for your service.

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

Welcome Home! Thanks for all you do. Enjoy the fancy coffee.

Christi Goddard said...

Thanks so much for the award. I was wondering where you'd gone off to. You'd said you were headed home, but then you were gone forever.

Welcome back to Texas! We are now mere hours from each other rather than time zones. Not that we're getting together to barbeque or anything, but I just thought I'd randomly mention that. I'm all about the random, after all.

Postman said...

Anudder neat set of linkies to check out. Glad to hear you're back and settled in, and those days of living out of a seabag are over. (How was the food out on the road, anyway?)

Emily Cross said...

Hi JP,

Thanks for the award!! so kind of you!

still haven't gotten my laptop yet so i don't know if i'll be able to post anything for paddys day!!

such a disaster!!

Claire Dawn said...

Wow! Thanks for the award! It's my first! And welcome home! The road is so long while traveling, but so worth it after arriving. :)

@Rachel, I love the name of your blog.

-Claire Dawn

Just Another Sarah said...

Yikes! That does sound long and involved. Glad to see you are back!

Jerry said...

At home and at peace -- with the birds chirping. Now I hope to settle down and read some forthcoming posts.

Welcome home.

Just Another Sarah said...

Hey! I have something small for you on my blog!

Jon Paul said...

Scott--Thanks man! I appreciate the sentiment.

Trav, Lydia, Amber--You're welcome! You deserve it.

Rachel--You're also welcome. Just seeing if you were paying attention!

Laura--Wow! Thanks for the compliment.

Christine--Thanks. Foo foo coffee is the nice gourmet stuff that sailors make fun of other sailors for drinking. Something about it not being manly.

Liza--Thanks. Looking forward to getting back on track with my routine.

Meghan--Sure thing!

Brittany--Thanks. I certainly didn't have it as hard as some, and for that I thank my lucky stars.

Sarahjayne, Karen--Thank you.

Christi--It is all about random. Did I mention that my favorite color is green?

Postie--Food wasn't bad. It was more about change of pace than taste. Eating three squares a day at the D-FAC (code for Dining Facility) got to be old after awhile, although the quality was better than I expected.

Emily--Thanks for the note. No problem on the blogfest. Looking forward to seeing you put your computer problems behind you and get back to the posting.

Claire--Your welcome. You deserve it. I concur. It has all been worth it.

Jerry--Working on forthcoming posts as we speak.

Another Sarah--Sure thing. Thanks! I'll head over and check it out!

Jon Paul said...

Oh and thank you all for stopping by and commenting!

Waddaya wanna say?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

©2010 by Jon Paul | by San Antonio Web Design