Truth and Sweetness (Not Necessarily In That Order)

Monday, March 22, 2010


Today this Blogpost, tomorrow the World!--but first, these messages!

Seriously, I hope you chocked up an awesome weekend--one for the books!--you're ready to hit this fourth week in March running and you have plenty of fun-filled and entertaining adventures lined up.  We certainly do have some fun in store here at WSMG.

A few highlights:
  • Fiction Writer's Battle Plan Part Four.  Yes, that's RIGHT!  Wednesday I'll post the fourth in my six part series on how to devise a Fiction Writer's Battle Plan to absolutely conquer any and all writing challenges, and to set yourself on a path for writing success in the future.  If you missed the first three parts, you can check them on the sidebar to the right.  We'll knock out Part Five and Part Six in the next couple weeks.
  • Book Reviews and Discussions.  In the last thirty days I finished reading Lehane's "Shutter Island", Lee's "To Kill A Mockingbird" and Meyer's "Twilight".  This gives me plenty to talk about so I'll have posts/reviews on each of these texts in the next couple weeks.  I also owe you a second post relating to issues from "A Separate Peace" (check my original review here, if you like).
  • Craft Posts.  I am working on several more writing craft posts--which I'm really excited about!--including a discussion of some description and sentence structure techniques I've learned recently that I think you might find helpful.
  • Blog Redecorating.  Finally, a new blog template with my very own URL is in the works, so stand by for that unveiling soon.
And now the World Domination part!  I have recently received two more awards!  I can't believe my good luck at being able to use my powers of mind control to convince other bloggers that I deserve awards but it appears to be working.  Maybe it's all those subliminal [give me all your money] messages I've been inserting into [yes, I take checks but I would prefer cash] every sentence I write.

Seriously, I am really honored by all this attention.  It's just little old me here doing my thing so it makes me feel truly stoked to hear that folks enjoy what I'm putting up.  And of course, it is great to see how talented and supportive everyone else is out there--like we're one big happy family.  Couldn't be better IMHO.

So first up is the Sugar Doll Award--yes I've earned it once already but that doesn't matter!  An award is an award, right?!


Sarah, who puts up some great material over at The Wit and Wisdom of Another Sarah gave this one to me (thanks Sarah!).  I think the rules dictate that I should pass this onto a few other groovy folks, so here goes:

1.  Emily's emcogNEATO!
2.  Jenn's Every Day I Lie A Little
3.  Amalia's Good To Begin Well, Better To End Well

And Mia, who has a ton of fun at her place--Literary Jam & Toast--gave me the "From Me To You" Award (I think that's what it's called) where I share seven truths and give the award to seven folks.


Someone time me with their wristwatch.  Ready.  Set.  Go!

1.  Our dog Stormy was named after a triple coincidence: 1) the day we picked him up, there was an unseasonable thunderstorm that literally came out of nowhere, flash-flooded the roads and made a general mess, 2) "Riders on the Storm" by the Doors played on the radio when we pulled up at the gate at the breeder's place and 3) we had decided on him the day before--they say your pet picks you and in this case it certainly was true--but the breeder warned us when we picked him up that he was the most rambunctious of the lot and might be a handful.  The breeder was right--and the name stuck.

2.  I have climbed three volcanoes in my life--Mount Fuji in Japan, Mount Etna in Sicily and Diamondhead in Hawaii.  I brought back volcanic rocks from the first two that now sit on my writing desk (as the third is a National Park, I declined to bring one home).

3.  If I stayed airborne continuously for a period equal to the total flight time I have accrued in my 18 year Navy career (I'm a pilot by day), I would be in the air 24 hours a day, seven days a week for nearly 15 weeks.

4.  When I was a young single guy, I decided that naming a star for a girl was a pretty good gift idea.  It was unique and goofy and romantical and a little bit crazy--exactly what I usually went for.  I named five stars for girls; this was long before the internet and before it was common knowledge that the whole thing is basically a hoax.  Since I eventually broke up with all of them, I don't feel so bad that it wasn't legit, and I am relieved that the wreckage of my love life is not strewn among the night skies like so much detritus on a fallow tide.

5.  My two favorite poems are Edna St. Vincent Millay's Renascence and T. S. Eliot's Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock.  Yeah, I know.  It makes no sense.

6.  The first time I got drunk, I was one.  It was at a party my folks threw, and when they adjourned to the other room, I managed to climb up on the chairs and drink the dregs from all the guests glasses.

7.  I'm dating myself here, but I wrote my first computer-based fiction story on an Atari 400--cutting edge technology in 1985.  This was back in the stone age when each alphanumeric character was about 1k and roughly a page and half of text would fit on a 5 and 1/2 inch floppy disk (512K).  The story I wrote took nine disks.  If my math is right, then my 500 GB hard drive would hold 113,975,000 such stories.  Talk about coming a long way!

And now, the following seven blogs are hereby awarded this rewarding award, if that makes sense:

1.  Liza's Middle Passages
2.  Postie's The Sententious Vaunter
3.  Scott's A Writer's Blog
4.  Carol's Carol's Prints
5.  Summer's ...And This Time Concentrate
6.  Bone's Cruising Altitude
7.  Dawn's Dawn Hullender's Southern Musings

All ten of these folks write world class material week in, week out, so I strongly suggest you make a tour and see them all.  I promise you won't be disappointed.

That's it for now.  Check back on Wednesday for the Battle Plan.  Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for being patient with me over the last couple weeks as I get my wits about me after my return from overseas.  I promise to up the ante from here on out and get back to a more regular blogging routine--and that means more fun for all!

18 bolts from the blue:

Susan Fields said...

Did you really write this at 2am? If so, you're a fellow middle-of-the-night owl, too! Thanks for stopping by my blog, and I enjoyed visiting yours - I'm looking forward to coming back often.

Summer said...

Aw, thanks, John Paul! Those are really great anecdotes. I'm a big fan of Prufrock myself, and often quote "I grow old, I grow old" when I'm feeling down. :-)

Liza said...

Awwww. JP, I am honored and flattered, and shucks, well, gosh darn tickled too. I have so much respect for your writing skills that an appearance on your list shot-puts me over the moon. Here I was all excited about the prospect of the next installment on your battle plan, and I find this! Thank you for making my day!

EmcogNEATO! said...

Woohoo! Thanks for the award, Sugar Doll. ;)

Claire Dawn said...

I love your 7 things!

Scott said...

Woo-hoo! Congrats on the award . . . and thanks for awarding me . . . oh, and not with the Sugar Doll award. I'm still in therapy over that one! Ha!

arlee bird said...

Where'd you come from? I keep running across blogs with interesting contents that I haven't seen yet and yours is new to me. I'm going to have to go back and check the Battle Plan Series and keep up with the new posts. I have no choice but to follow your blog so I don't miss anything.
Hope you'll check out my site as well. Maybe you have some answers to my Buggy Blogs post today.
Lee

Amalia T. said...

Congratulations on the awards, and thank you for the compliment of passing one on to me! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Twilight, myself-- for the male perspective!

Thanks again!

Jon Paul said...

Susan--No. I wish I could report my commitment was such that I was up at 2:00 a.m., but it's not. I schedule them to post then so I can get a start on the next day!

Summer--Yeah, that quote becomes more appropriate every day, doesn't it!

Liza--Truly my pleasure. You've been such a great supporter of my blog, nearly since its inception, and you do such great work yourself that it's the least I can do.

Emily--Sure thing! And I wear the title proudly, although I'm not sure I'm qualified. But that never stopped me before!

Claire--Thanks! I had fun thinking them up and getting them down.

Scott--Yeah, I figured you were due for a real award! Hope the therapy--and Mom!--are doing well.

Lee--Mars is my standard answer. Thanks for following and I hope the Battle Plan meets or exceeds your expectations. I'll stop by your place as well.

Thanks everyone for stopping by, reading and commenting!

Jon Paul said...

Amalia--we must have been synchronously posting! Thanks. Yeah, Twilight was a mighty interesting read and there's plenty to talk about. As far as the award goes, you deserve it!

Postman said...

You're really too much, JP. Thanks a million for the award.

"Seriously, I am really honored by all this attention. It's just little old me here doing my thing so it makes me feel truly stoked to hear that folks enjoy what I'm putting up. And of course, it is great to see how talented and supportive everyone else is out there--like we're one big happy family. Couldn't be better IMHO."

You said it, man! Speaking of stoked, I'm looking forward to the resumption of the Battle Plan, and all else you've got planned. Congratulations on your own reception of the award, and keep the good times rolling.

Yvonne said...

JonPaul,
I like the story behind Stormy's name. Congratulations on your awards. Umm,coincidently I happen to have something for you over my way. Pick it up at your leisure!

Oh, yeah, I LOVE the Alfred Prufrock. Looking forward to the Battle Plan.

Carolina Valdez Miller said...

Jon Paul, you are full of great stories. So nice to learn more about you. Love that you picked up on the coincidences behind Stormy. Anyone else might have completely overlooked them and named him Bubba instead. I also adore Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock. I read it in college and fell in love with Eliot. So very clever.

Thank you for the award. You are so kind. Thank you for thinking of me. I accept it gladly. I have gotten this one already, but I'll take as many awards as are handed to me...I wouldn't turn down a second Pulitzer either ;)

Jenn Ashworth said...

Thanks for the link Jon Paul - I've never been a Sugar Babe before, but I suppose it's not too late to start! :)

Jon Paul said...

Postie--Thanks! I do what I can.

Yvonne--Wow! Thanks! I'll head over.

Carol--Of course you deserve it and I hope you get to feeling better.

Jenn--Sure thing. That was my thought when I became a Sugar Doll (x2!) too.

Thank ya'll for stopping by and commenting.

Dawn Hullender said...

Thank you Jon Paul for bestowin such an honor upon me. It warms the cockles of my heart to know someone out there actually reads my stuff.

*sniffs* Thank you.

DL Hammons said...

That's Awesome JP! I really appreciate the award and the kind words. Following your journey is so unreal, because we are traveling down parallel paths.

Jon Paul said...

Dawn--My pleasure. It's easy to reward quality.

Bone--Yeah, I was getting that sense too. As they say in Top Gun (by some accounts the mascot movie of Naval Aviation): "You can be my wingman any time!" :D

Thanks guys for stopping by.

Waddaya wanna say?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

©2010 by Jon Paul | by San Antonio Web Design