See, I am writing this from a crowded jetway at Bush International Airport in Houston, Texas. Yeah, I'm on the road again. The last week has been a whirlwind of calls and emails to a veritable army of people straightening out my travel plans and the details of our move to Sicily. At the moment, we are set to depart around the first week of June, but based on the various perambulations observed in the last several days, that might still change.
No, I won't be missing all this travel hoop-jumping when it finally comes time to retire in two years time; it'll be nice to kick the feet up and stay in one spot for awhile.
Nonetheless, I am still managing to find it fun now. My current travel takes me first back to the scene of the crime--Norfolk, Virginia--for some swim training, and then I head down to my hometown, San Antonio, next week for two weeks of ground school.
All these events promise to be fun and challenging and are only slightly marred by the fact that they keep me from writing. But we can't have everything, can we? In the meantime, Furnace Girl will keep the home fires burning, and we've asked Muffin to take over troublemaker duties (my usual role), an endeavor she has taken on with gusto.
In all the hubbub, I didn't get a Friday Link Love post up this week, so here I present a very special, once-in-a-lifetime Sunday edition of Friday Link Love (in trying to cover up my tardiness by selling this as something special, I'm hearing a line from that old U2 song in my head: "You can sew it up, but you still see the tear". :) At the rate I've been going recently, maybe I should start calling it Monthly Link Love. Hmmm......the metallic sound you hear is the noise of the cogs in my brain working.
But today's post is a veritable Link-a-Pa-Looza. In fact, I've been sitting on a bunch of links for awhile, so here is a pretty hefty list. I hope you enjoy.
- Kerry over at The Writing Bug incites us to bust out of our writing box. That's something I need to do.
- I totally dug this list (with diagram!) of eight traits needed to succeed as a writer that Elaine Smith posted over at her place. I chose persistence. Which one is yours?
- Anne Tyler Lord published this absolutely wicked cool post about writers and the left/right brain phenomenon. With videos and a really cool experiment that will tell you if you are in fact left or right brain dominant.
- If you're in need of writing prompts, check out this cool site: Three Word Wednesday.
- I thoroughly enjoyed this post entitled "The Clasp" from Jerry over a Gently Said. If you're not familiar with his blog, you should check it out. He tells some great stories, and he's a Navy man to boot--so what's not to like?
- Brian Keaney put up this thoughtful post about the importance of understanding your audience--and writing with that in mind.
- When it comes getting published, this explains it all.
- Are you a pantser or a plotter? Roni at Fiction Groupie explains the finer points.
- And finally, Scott at the Literary Lab talks about maintaining balance between your writing life and your blogospheric life, a topic which has been very near and dear to my heart lately.
Now for dessert:
Have a great Sunday. Stay groovy and thanks for stopping by!