Naked Eggs

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Have you ever heard of a naked egg?  No?  Neither had I, until my daughter Muffin pointed out that the hard-boiled egg my wife unshelled for Easter  morning breakfast was indeed "naked".  I guess Muffin was right, as the egg definitely had a certain undressed quality about it sans blue eggshell.  Kids say the darndest things.

I hope you had a very nice holiday weekend and this post finds you well and ready for a new week.

I suppose I have some explaining to do after last Thursday's post.  You see the post was my idea of an April Fool's joke that, upon reflection, did not go as planned.  Yes, it was all a ruse--right down to my Uncle Frownie who does not in fact exist.  I tried hard not to be too over the top with the novel concept (to not give away that it was April Fool's) and I guess I succeeded.

Now I have long understood that my weird sense of humor is not for everyone, but I was unprepared for the care you dear reader took in commenting upon said idea.  Remarks were attentive, but careful not to offend, and I can now understand why.  It had not occurred to me what an awful faux pas it would be to say "Hah hah, very funny!  Happy April Fool's Day to you too!" only to find out that the idea put forward was indeed legitimate.  Talk about stepping in it!

So thank you for being so careful with your comments/praise, as I now have a renewed appreciation for the supportiveness of this writing community.  It really is pretty amazing.  And though I feel a little bit like a naked egg myself, I have to admit that I love and truly see value in these little social experiments, and the results of this particular foray into group psychology has been and still is extremely fascinating to me.

But I suppose some form of repayment for your kindness (or mental compensation on my part) is in order.  First, I'd like to mention that despite my erratic antics, I received a few awards recently.   Yvonne from The Organic Writer and Tricia from Talespinning were kind enough to give me the Prolific Blogger Award.  Both these writers do a very nice job producing quality content and so are most deserving of this award (read: go check them out right this instant!), and I feel quite honored to be an awardee.  Didn't know that naked eggs were prolific?  Now you know.


Thank you kindly ladies.  Much appreciated.  The rules for this award are fairly straightforward.  Every winner of the Prolific Blogger Award has to pass on this award to at least seven other deserving prolific bloggers, link to the blog from which he/she has received the award, and link back to this post, which explains the origins and motivation for the award.  Last but not least, recipients must visit this post and add his/her name in the Mr. Linky, so that we can get to know the other winners.

So without further ado, I present the Prolific Blogger Award to:

1. Mia's My Literary Jam and Toast
2. Roni's Fiction Groupie
3. Lola's Sharp Pen/Blunt Sword
4. Sarah's The Wit And Wisdom of Another Sarah
5. Talli's Talli Roland
6. Valerie's Something To Write About
7. Dawn's Plotting and Scheming

Also Postie over at The Sententious Vaunter (who's place you should also go check out!) passed on the Soulmates Award.  Dude, I don't know what to say, except, like, totally thanks!  As an aside, Postie and I have unearthed an unnerving number of weird coincidences in our two lives so this award seems strangely appropriate.


Here's da rules.  Pass it on to five recipients.  Make up something (preferably inoffensive) about the people you sent it to.  Link to the people you gave it to and link back to the original award post, which is right about here.

1. Karen over at Eternal Moonshine Of A Daydreaming Mind once was cast in a bit part in Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End but her performance ended up on the cutting room floor, reportedly because Johnny Depp felt she was upstaging him.
2. At the age of fifteen, Lydia at The Sharp Angle made the decision to give away a sum of several millions of dollars, proceeds in a trust fund inherited from a great aunt, to charity--a decision she has never regretted, except when she doesn't have money to pay the parking meters outside the office where she works.
3. On a visit to Scotland, Claire Dawn at Points of Claire-ification snapped photos of a lake creature she believed at the time to be the Loch Ness Monster, but a friend accidentally erased the photos from her digital camera.
4. Liza from Middle Passages has an irrational fear of green jelly beans.  To keep her fear in check, every Easter and Christmas she makes a wonderful green jelly bean tart which all her friends rave about.
5.  Emily at The Chronicles of Emily Cross was once asked to participate in a world record-breaking hot air balloon trip, but she had to stay home to complete a project for one of her classes.  Luckily, she got an "A".

To make amends for what heretofore shall be referred to as the Great April Fool's Day Fiasco of 2010, I promise to do a proper post on my novel idea by week's end.  Also, I leave you with this fun video of Flight of the Conchords singing their tune "The Most Beautiful Girl In The Room", which seemed the right thing to do, by virtue of it actually being funny.  Enjoy!

9 bolts from the blue:

Valerie Geary said...

Oooo! Unexpected and delightful! An Award for my Monday morning. Thank you!! Hahhahaa... I love Flight of the Concords! I hadn't seen this one yet. :D

j.m. neeb said...

My best friend (of the non-wife variety) had gotten me Flight of the Conchords' "The Distant Future" EP before I had ever seen the show. It's a great disc, especially the last three tracks ("The Most Beautiful Girl in the Room," "Robots" and "Banter") which were recorded live. Only six tracks, though.

Very funny stuff!

Sometimes, I remind my wife that she's the most beautiful girl in the whole wide room. Fortunately, she is quite familiar with the song... :)

Yvonne said...

You are very deserving of these awards and I'm happy to see my opinion jives with Tricia's. So, again, congratulations.

About naked eggs....as an organic farmer (and yes we have chickens!) I can attest to the beauty of the naked egg. Our russet-colored Isa Browns lay eggs in all different shades of brown, as your photo shows.

Thanks for the links. Now I have more blogs to check out!

Heather said...

I wish I had seen the original post not knowing it was a joke! I wonder how I would have responded...I think somewhere in the Pee Wee meets Han Solo I would have gotten it, but who knows! I was trying to avoid all blogs/tweets on April 1, because I hate having egg on my face (really, seriously, no pun with your title intended) when I find out I was wrong. One person got me this year, though.

Claire Dawn said...

Thank you for the award hon! "You're so beautiful you could be a part-time model!" :)

- Claire Dawn

PS I totally picked up that it was a joke, but I can't say I think it wouldn't sell... :)

Liza said...

Thank you JP! Read today's post to see what you inspired! I'm pretty sure there would not have been a post without your award.

Liza

Talli Roland said...

Yay! Thank you so much! Looking forward to reading more of your blog. Hope you had a great wekeend.

Christi Goddard said...

Congrats on the awards. You deserve them and so much more. You're an awesome guy, John Paul.

Lola Sharp said...

Hey, sorry I'm so late to the party...I was sick as a dog that entire week and offline. And, my birthday is April fools day, so I'm very well schooled in the tomfoolery of said holiday.
I went back and read the post...it was funny and clever and creative.
To be honest, with the right voice, you could pull off an awesome hilarious version of that story...Summer and I would totally read it!

And, CONGRATS on the awards, well deserved.

THANK YOU for awarding me one...I'm so sorry I was MIA/sick.
I'll be sure to pick it up and post some link love back at you.

Happy Weekend,
Lola

Waddaya wanna say?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

©2010 by Jon Paul | by San Antonio Web Design