True Colors

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I heard about this for the first time today--although he died in December--and it both saddened and amazed me.



You can find a complete list of his awards and decorations here.

Does anyone else find it ironic that the media spends weeks reporting on topics like the death of Michael Jackson, but guys like this barely get mentioned?

15 bolts from the blue:

j.m. neeb said...

The media here in the States is a joke... an unfunny one at that.

I was going to launch into a rant, but I don't want to spend all day doing that. It will have to be a future topic for Ducks Out Of A Row.

That is an absolute travesty that American heroes -- those of the REAL variety -- play second fiddle to pop culture "icons."

Lydia Sharp said...

"Ironic" wasn't the word that came to my mind. More like "disgusting". I find it disgusting that a man's life, such as this, can be so callously cast aside in favor of... whatever they're calling the news these days. To be honest, I don't watch it anymore. I find more interesting and notable things through blogs and YouTube. Sad, but true.

glnroz said...

good post,, i linked from my site,, i guess i was a little "miffed" at the lack of media attention...thanks, glenn

Golden To Silver Val said...

I'm here via glnroz's site and recommendation. Thank you for posting this. How proud we are of him....how proud his family must be. Its amazing how the media just skims over what's really newsworthy in favor of overly extensive (IMHO) coverage of an entertainer's demise. I wish Bob Howard could have lived longer...but you know he lived several lifetimes in those 70 years.

Jojomama said...

I have been on a "news fast" for years because it is all propaganda and celebrity nonsense. (unless my husband is being interviewed) (=
Seriously though, our society has seriously screwed up priorities. Everyone get their heads out of their whatevers!
Thanks for sharing this. (=

My Aimless Infatuation said...

Thank you Bob Howard,I'm proud you were on our side.

To the media: Get your priorities in order!

Liza said...

Amen.

Bernie said...

I agree, here in Canada there is a part of our Trans Canada Hwy names for our fallen soldiers and their funerals are shown and their families. It reminds us of what reality is, out of sight should not be out of mind. Great Post.......:-) Hugs

Donna Hole said...

I find it disgusting, not ironic. I could so get on a soap box right now; but, I'll be good. I liked this video, I'm glad the media remembered a hero.

......dhole

Sharon said...

There are not enough adjectives to express my gratitude for Bob Howard.

Travener said...

Not ironic but unfortunately all too true. Michael Jackson was bad enough, but at least he was a worldwide phenom. The time cable news spent on Anna Nicole Smith was unbelievable.

Lola Sharp said...

Not so much ironic as sad.

Thank you for posting this, JP.

Peggy Shumway said...

Thanks for a great post. I can't understand why great people get forgotten. The same thing happened with Mother Theresa in the wake of Princess Diana's death.

Dawn Simon said...

Wow. He was a real hero. Thanks for sharing this.

Jennie Bailey said...

It does not surprise me in the least. We are a society that glorifies celebrities and athletes yet underpays (and underappreciates) more important roles in our society. I'm not a fan of the media at all.

This man was a true hero. Thank you for sharing this. Lola posted that you and your family were moving to Italy. Thank you for your sacrifice for our country as well.

Waddaya wanna say?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

©2010 by Jon Paul | by San Antonio Web Design