Sicilian Status Report

Monday, June 21, 2010


Our first several weeks in Sicily have turned out quite fine.  I'll throw an initial warning out: I may be wandering into Facebook territory here (pics follow, you see), but frankly I just have not found the time--or the urge, what with our transient nature--to jot down even a paragraph of fiction, let alone think seriously about the old WIP.

I've spoken before about the importance of place/location in writing, so I feel this waywardness means I won't get much done until we actually settle into a home of our own.

On the other hand, things go relatively well in finding and renting said home.  We discovered a breathtaking villa (read townhouse) in Motta Sant' Anastasia, a quaint but not exactly sleepy town up the road from the naval base, on Friday.  We've made an offer and are hoping today will yield some good news.

Slowly, we are learning our way around.  In the last few days, we made a number of trips up the coast and explored a variety of locales, expanding our knowledge of the surrounding towns and cities.  We are simply caging the gyros, in pilot-speak.  Everything we've seen excites.  The food and drink is good, and in our considered opinion, that it's only a matter of time before we fall in love with this place.

Without further adieu, what you've all been waiting for: the pics!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First, I should mention that the post header pic above was taken from my very own camera yesterday morning.  We were heading out on a just-after-sunrise jaunt and Etna was looking brilliant--so we stopped.  I guess I probably don't have to tell you how this image excited my WSMG heart.


Here, Muffin shows off the latest in toddler moving/hiking attire, with this amazing pack pack (her term) which is not only practical, but made of clear plastic for easy content identification.


The food is pretty good, but I guess I don't need to tell you that after seeing this photo.  Rigatoni rocks.  Nuff said.


The place where we're hoping to live is called Motta Sant' Anastasia (pictured above).  The town, located on the slopes of Mount Etna, is about three miles from base.  Living there would be very convenient.


The tower pictured above (the same one in the previous picture) was built by the Normans, so the town is very old.  We stopped by to pay a visit, and investigate the neighborhood.


A few other images for fun!


Here's Furnacegirl's dinner the first night: tortilini gratinati--pasta with ham and mushrooms.  Looks good, eh?


Furnacegirl and Muffin, looking very Italian in their big sunglasses, pose in front of Mount Etna.  We also got to go to a nice little town called Taormina.


In case you can't see it, someone lives out there on that rock.  Sweet, say I!


Muffin had the best time hanging out at the overlook.  She kept saying: "I wanna go to the beach.  I see it!  Let's go!"


Bottom line: we love it so far!  Here's a shot of of the clan enjoying a nice view in Taormina.

Despite our fun, I must be frank and admit that writing is still on the back burner.  Quite literally, I've gotten nothing done.  Despite my own dismal creative progress, I hope this little travelogue finds you well and good and writing up a storm!  Tell me how it's going, at least, so I can find solace in your own good work.

Also, since the subject seems fit, answer this question: where would you take your dream vacation?

13 bolts from the blue:

Summer said...

Awesome pictures! The town you're aiming for looks so amazing...I love that it's on the hillside. :-)

Dream vacation? Which one?? I'd love to visit Italy, Greece, the UK, Nova Scotia/PEI, Hong Kong, Bombay, Tokyo--you name it, I'd like to visit.

Glad to hear from you! The writing will come once you get settled, I'm sure. It's the same way for me whenever my life gets upheaved.

Elaine AM Smith said...

Wow!
It looks incredible. Good luck with the settling in phase.

sarahjayne smythe said...

Gorgeous pictures. It looks like you all are having the time of your lives. :)

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Well, I think you just gave me a new dream vacation. Those photos are fabulous, and what a cute Muffin!
We're all writing furiously. You'll have to spell us soon.

Liza said...

My vacation would be anywhere that serves food similar to Funace Girl's meal! Glad you are well and happy...the writing will come back, after the distractions...which means when you get into a routine. You daughter is adorable.

Claire Dawn said...

What a beautiful place! Looks like clips from a travel magazine!

Jerry said...

I figure writing should be on the back burner for now -- you simply have so much to absorb. Where would I like to be? After viewing these pictures -- I want to be where you are.

Rachel Fenton said...

That's it - I have to move back to Europe! I miss Europe...brilliant pics. Hope you all get settled soon.

Lola Sharp said...

I AM GREEN WITH ENVY!!!!!!

Muffin and her sparkly blue eyes and fancy pack pack is adorable.

And the foooooood...this is really where the envy kicks in. The wife's dinner looks scrumptious.
I love that quaint hilly town where you're trying to rent the villa. *getting greener with more envy*

I've been on a lot of dream vacations (and am actually away on vacation right now...) but I think staying on that little island rock you photographed would do. (looks like a nice writing rock, no?)

Yeah, I haven't got any writing done lately either...but you know what? That's okay. The way I look at it, we're having life experiences right now, which will translate to better writing when we are settled and ready to write again. (which for me will be soon. It's starting to call me again.)

THANK YOU for sharing all the lovely photos. I'm so pleased that you and your little family are having this experience together. :)

Love,
Lola

DL Hammons said...

WOW! That place looks simply amazing. Take your time getting settled and acclimating yourself, don't worry about the writing. There will be plenty of time for that!

Dawn Simon said...

Beautiful pics, beautiful family! What an adventure you guys are on! Good luck with the house hunting!

Muffin cracks me up with her pack pack. One or both of my kids had a pack pack, too--you just reminded me. The clear ones rock because you know exactly what's in there.

The spot you want to live...wow.

Have a blast! :)

Anonymous said...

I like your blog !!Thank you. They are really great .
do not miss my goods , they are very beautiful !!
Yves Saint Laurent
Tory Burch
Christian Louboutin
Men's Shoes
Women's Shoes
New Arrivals

Christine H said...

What a lovely family! You all look so happy and relaxed. The scenery is thrilling. I'm not sure I'd be thrilled about the volcano, though. LOL!

I'm not writing, either, as I've started a brand new job and am commuting more than previously. So don't feel bad. I'm sure we'll both get settled into routines soon.

Thank you so much for sharing the photos. I LOVE The first one. I'm going to borrow it for my desktop, if you don't mind.

Waddaya wanna say?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

©2010 by Jon Paul | by San Antonio Web Design