Significant Other Blogfest: FurnaceGirl In The Hot Seat

Friday, January 21, 2011

Hi all!

FurnaceGirl here. I'm not nearly as talented or well-versed in this writing gig as J.P., so please be patient with me.

If you haven't already heard what this post is about, go check it out here. I'll wait...

So, now that we are all up to speed here goes: I must be honest and say that I am very proud of and slightly surprised by my dear husband. He talked about wanting to be a writer ever since we met. The tricky part was, that apart from the work he produced when finishing his English degree, he hadn't written much. He had a hard time while in college because he had such high aspirations and couldn't quite make his work match his potential. He needed more practice, and patience.

It was not easy to watch him struggle with the realities of creative writing. He would get so excited about a story idea, then often grasp and fumble to put it on the page. I wanted a better way to help him beyond simply reading and offering constructive critiques, but I suppose that was the best way. I couldn't tell him how to write (I'm certainly NOT the expert in the family!), I could only encourage him to keep pulling it apart and working toward his goal.

I see that he has really blossomed as a writer in the last year and a half. It is really quite dramatic, let me tell you. His writing is on a whole different plane than it used to be (Did you read his excerpt from Daisy?!?!). I believe some of the credit goes to you, his readers. You have offered critiques, feedback, support, encouragement, and comraderie to him along the way. I know that has meant a great deal to him, and to me.

If I could be selfish for a minute, I'll share that there are a few drawbacks to this new blossoming. It's not as much fun to go on our lunch dates when he's lost in thought and dreaming about the idea he's been working on fleshing out all morning. Sometimes he can get a little grumpy when he's having a particularly hard time getting through a plotline. But, like I said, that's me being selfish. :)

I'll take the dreaminess and grumpiness once in a while to see him grow as a writer and fufill a long-time dream of his. I will bring cups of tea, and glasses of ice water when he's hard at work, and not complain...much.

25 bolts from the blue:

Jon Paul said...

Thanks Sweetie! I heart you lots!

Ellie said...

Hello, Mrs JP. I think you are doing a wonderful job in supporting him and he very lucky to have you! Thank you for sharing.

My significant other

salarsenッ said...

Hi there! Great to meet you. This is my first time visiting Jon's blog. Glad I found it.

You did him justice. This is a very encouraging and uplifting post. Nicely done!!

Jessica Bell said...

Ha! This sounds like me: "It's not as much fun to go on our lunch dates when he's lost in thought and dreaming about the idea he's been working on fleshing out all morning." and I LOVE going out for lunch and dinner. :o) Nice to meet you both!

Talli Roland said...

Aw, JP is very lucky to have such a supportive partner!

Thank you for the wonderful post!

Stephanie M. Lorée said...

This was a fantastic entry. Thank you for sharing! I'm your newest follower, too. This blogfest has been wonderful for meeting new writers.

Summer Frey said...

Nice to hear from FurnaceGirl! You two speak so kindly and highly of each other. :) JP's great, and we're happy to know him.

~Nicole Ducleroir~ said...

It's so wonderful to hear the genuine support for Jon's craft in your voice. He's a lucky man! Thanks for sharing with us!

Lola Sharp said...

Oh my goodness...I LOVE this post. JP is very lucky to have you and your very thoughtful support. I hope you are feeling well with your pregnancy. *hugs*

JP, rub her feet. Give her extra kisses. She's lovely.

Myne Whitman said...

Awww...bless! This is so cute, I love it!

The Good Wifehold said...

Oh no you're not selfish SO. It's hard being with a writer for sure. I mean I get those moods and I really feel for my husband that he has to deal with them but try not to inflict them on him too much. Furnace Girl you sound like a very good support - lucky Jon!

Wendy Tyler Ryan said...

We all appreciate hearing from you. It will be a learning experience today for lots of us.

DL Hammons said...

What a wonderful tribute to our friend and colleague! It was so nice to hear more about him through your eyes...and adoring eyes I can tell. Thank you so much for doing this for him, and us. Posts like this are what is making this day so special! :)

Angela Felsted said...

I like how you're supportive and honest at the same time. It's a good combination. How lucky he is to have you!

Elle Strauss said...

I don't think you're being selfish at all! I know I have to work on being 'present' sometimes, when need to focus on family or friends and not on my fictional buddies. :) thanks for sharing!

Lisa said...

This is great! It's nice to hear from a writer's wife (since so many of the folks on line are ladies).

I agree about growing as a writer and it's great you recognize this about him. I'm sure he appreciates that a ton! I know I would!

LTM said...

what a sweet post! And it seems to be the common thread that we all walk around w/our heads in a cloud... I'm surprised we don't have more accidents! :D best~

Nicole Zoltack said...

How sweet! You're supportive and honest - and that's wonderful. :)

Lydia K said...

That was great! HOnest and supportive and real. Great post!

G.~ said...

I can really relate to what J.P. went through in the last year and a half.

It's nice to meet the both of you. I've *met* many new people today as a result of this blogfest.

Thank you for participating. I love the honesty and I'm sure J.P. appreciates the support and encouragement.

Vicki Rocho said...

What a sweet and supportive post!

Catherine Denton said...

Wonderfully said, furnace girl! I was glad you put some hard parts in there too. I'm sure my husband would agree with those. ;) Thanks for sharing with us.

alexia said...

Sweet and honest! It is nice that your SO has an eye for writing - even if just to notice how much you've improved.

Elena Solodow said...

This was really sweet.

Donna Hole said...

What a wonderfully supportive partner you are Ms. JP. Thank you for so graciously sharing your husbands time with us. And its ok to be selfish about it sometimes. Without you, I'm sure JP wouldn't be this awesome.

.........dhole

Waddaya wanna say?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

©2010 by Jon Paul | by San Antonio Web Design