It's A Boy

Thursday, January 20, 2011

This is my Kindle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Kindle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My Kindle, without me, is useless. Without my Kindle, I am useless--or at the least, very very bored.  :D


This is just a quick odds-and-ends post to get a few things out of the way, share my recent good fortune, and warm up the crowd for tomorrow--so consider this your reminder: don't forget to check back to see my better-half-by-far, FurnaceGirl, hi-jack WSMG and take it for a spin as part of the Significant Other Blogfest.

In the meantime, I'll share some mental meanderings with thee.  I've given it some thought and decided that I'd like to share more of myself on this blog. 

Now before you go backing away from your computer--oh gawd, here it comes, you're thinking--let me explain what I mean: I don't talk a lot about flying or about living in Sicily or some other fun things I do--and I am reticent to do so under the rubric that folks are probably not interested. 

This blog is about writing, no? But as I was putting together my recent post reviewing the last year and getting an overview of my posts in toto, I realized am a great user of the "royal" we.  We, as writers, should do this.  We, as readers, should consider that.

Frankly there hasn't been a lot of the "I think..." or "I struggle..." or "I fail..." going on, if you know what I mean.  And I think that is what we(!)...I really want to be better about talking about, to share these daily tales with you guys more often and in ways that are riskier and not so safe.

Strangely enough, putting myself into my writing is something I think I struggle with in my fiction too.  :)

So I am going to broaden this blog's scope somewhat, pull in more of the personal, tell--no show!--more, to make the ride a tad more enjoyable perhaps, and learn to let my guard down.  After all, many of these things are what make me who I am as a writer, so talking about them in this forum should be a natural development.

In that spirit, here's a recent piece of fun and excitement in my world.  Look what FurnaceGirl got me for my birthday!


Yeah, it's pretty sweet.  I know, I know.  I am light years behind most of you.  As one of my old coworkers, a retired Marine Corps Colonel who flew Hueys in Vietnam, used to say: somebody needs to drag me kicking and screaming into the Twenty-First Century (for the record, the Colonel could run circles around me on any Microsoft product, bar none).


I told the Le Donna De Furnace that this device is downright dangerous in the hands of someone like me.  Our monthly book expenditures are gonna skyrocket!


Yeah, and Stormy the dog (his real name) had to get in on the action.


So you see, FurnaceGirl is a pretty cool customer, especially after hooking yours truly up so well.  Check back tomorrow to hear her side of the story.  BTW, any of ya'all out there in the blogosphere have a handy-dandy tip or two for this here new Kindle user?

P. S.  Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention: we've got a little one on the way--and it's a boy!  :D

9 bolts from the blue:

glnroz said...

congrats on both accounts, (boy&kindle). The Boss and three daughters want even go to the bathroom without taking their Kindle..

Summer Frey said...

Aw, yay boy!! New nickname now? :)
That Kindle skin is awesome! Mine's just plain white. I got a gel cover for it that makes it way, way easier to hold onto after reading a few horror reviews of people accidentally dropping it due to slippage.

Looks like we have a similar cover, too--mine's the neoprene and leather Belkin.

I love mine.

My advice? Download all the free books you can get your hot little mouse cursor on (it's much faster on Amazon then through the Kindle itself). Then read them. Some will be godawful, but you should read them anyway. :D

Caroline said...

Congratulations on the boy!

I'm mystified by all those Kindle buttons. I have a Nook, which has a touch screen at the bottom. I guess the buttons help you bypass the menus and scrolling.

For a treasure trove of free books, check out http://manybooks.net/ or http://www.gutenberg.org -- I downloaded dozens of classics there. I won't admit to having uploaded my own WIP to my device. Nope. Or its cover. (Ahem.)

Lola Sharp said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JP!!!!

And, YAY, a boy!! Soon you'll have one of each. :) I hope your wife is feeling well.

Congrats on your Kindle baby, too.

FurnaceGirl said...

Happy Birthday dear!

Thank you, Lola, I'm feeling peachy.

Liza said...

Yippee!!!! Congratulations...on your little boy part. As for the Kindle, I'm behind you. Way behind. But when I catch up, I'm going for an I-pad.

Donna Hole said...

I'm way behind too - I don't have a Kindle. I'm thinking about the Nook though. If i had one I spend all my money on books and forget the starving piggies at the fridge :)

I can't wait to read Furnace Girl's post; and your posts are never boring. I will enjoy them I'm sure.

See ya tomorrow . .

........dhole

Jon Paul said...

Thanks Glenn! I think I'll propose a no bathroom rule for our place, but there's no telling if it will stick.

Summer--Thanks, and thanks for the advice on free books. I'll go check it out.

Caroline--Awesome! I'll go check it out!

Lola--Thank you! She's doing great!

Sweetie!--Thanks. It was a great one, wasn't it?!

Liza--FurnaceGirl got an I-Pad for Christmas and we've been using the heck out of it. I almost traded up my Kindle for one of my own, but since we're considering and I-Phone when we return to the States next year, I decided to keep the Kindle--a decision I am not regretting!

Other than the organization stuff that comes with the I-Pad, the main difference is screen readability (Kindle is better)--although I have to admit that the I-Pad user interface is far slicker.

Donna--Thanks. Good luck shopping. It's not an easy decision to make.

Thanks friends for stopping by.

Claire Dawn said...

I bought like 40 books last year. And that's when I had to deal with shipping fees and wait times. Then I got a Kindle. ...

Can't keep a cent.

Oh, and I think personal touches are what make a blog. Because frankly, I think if ppl want writing advice straight up, they'll be on agent blogs and the big name writers. Not us. Plus, as a writer, everything you say and so is connected to your work anyhow.

Congrats on your new addition!

Waddaya wanna say?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

©2010 by Jon Paul | by San Antonio Web Design