Odds and Ends and Odds

Tuesday, September 27, 2011


This is a quick odds and ends post before I bolt out the door.  I'm up early today, flying off to Spain--and back!  I love my job, but ten plus hours in the cockpit can get somewhat tedious after awhile.  ;)

Although I've been getting up early for years due to the demands of Navy life, a 4:30 a.m. wakeup is still pretty painful.  I used to not be a morning person, but I'm working to change my ways.  And I'm pretty proud of myself: I'm up early to write some fiction.  :D

Anyhoo, I'm making progress on the writing front and happy with the results.  My main effort lately has been scribing out a little flash fiction, which I'm discovering comes with a whole different class of challenges.  You may recall I mentioned a contest hosted by Esquire Magazine where entries are stories told in exactly 78 words. 

Have you ever tried to tell a story in less than a hundred words?  It's pretty tough--but fun.  As a writing exercise, I decided to write ten of them, then choose the best.  I'm about halfway through, and enjoying it.  I may even share a few before all is said and done.

I've also started work on my idea for the upcoming Rule of Three Blogfest (link in the sidebar)!


If you haven't checked this one out yet, I highly recommend you get on over there and sign up if you're interested.  It promises to be a ton of fun, and the excitement is palpable as I consider how to structure my piece.  I'm learning I tend to enjoy challenges like that--not only for the fun factor, but because they help keep me focused on getting words on the page.  :D

Of course, NaNo is right around the corner.  (Has it been a year already?)  I am certainly planning to participate again this year.  Last year was a blast, crazy unbelievable finish and all, but I think I need to be somewhat more organized this year.  I'm planning to finally have a go at First Person Shooter (previously called First Man--detailed here) but I have some character development and plotting to do before the starting gun goes off.  You planning to play in NaNo this year?

Finally, we're heading off to visit Sweet Paree in a few weeks!  We're excited.  We've been before, but only for a day and a night, so this'll be our chance to see what's what in Paris.  Anyone got any travel tips for me?

That's it for now.  I have some News and Views piling up, and I'll get those out tomorrow. 

 

Now I'm off to dream up some fiction.  What are you dreaming up today?  Have a blast of a hump day, and don't forget to stay groovy!

9 bolts from the blue:

li said...

You do have a lot on your plate :-) Unfortunately, my natural wake-up time seems to be around 5 AM, which means bedtime has now become 10PM or before. Ah, the joys of old age.
Will be looking forward to reading some of your flash fiction; and welcome to the REN3 blogfest/writing project!

Liza said...

469 words so far today for a total of almost 39,000. After reading this my goal is get to over 50K BEFORE NANO starts! Have a good trip!

WritingNut said...

Hope you have a good trip, this is an insanely busy schedule!

Tara said...

I am terrified of flying so 10 hours on a plane seems insane - especially fyling it! ;-)

Jon Paul said...

Li--I do like it when I've been getting up early for awhile and my body starts waking me up on it's own out of habit. Last few weeks it's been like that and it's much easier dragging myself out bed!

Liza--Awesome! I know you can do it!

WritingNut!--Thanks. We got stuck overnight in Spain. But after going out and getting some dinner and having a few drinks, I got over my disappointment. :D

Tara--Actually I tend to get nervous when someone else is flying the plane. :D

Thanks friends for paying a visit!

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Safe flight. Love the blog.

Matthew MacNish said...

How was I not following you? Fixed it.

Damyanti said...

Look forward to your story, Jon, and intrigued to know you once came to Singapore!

Jon Paul said...

A Scots Lass (I can't believe you're daft; you stopped by here, didn't you? :D)--Thanks. It was very safe!

Matthew--Awesome! I'll be over shortly to check out your place.

Damyanti--Thanks! Call me JP if you like. I am looking forward to getting my story done as well! As for the visits to Singapore, that was in the late Nineties. No doubt things have changed a lot.

Thank you all you fine people for checking in. Have a stupendous weekend!

Waddaya wanna say?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

©2010 by Jon Paul | by San Antonio Web Design