Ordinary World

Friday, September 23, 2011


Time has been flying by lately, as we hurtle toward a New Year with ever increasing abandon.  I can hardly believe it's almost October.  Much lies in our future; a move back to the United States; retirement for me after 20 summers in the Navy; a whole new life to start again.  It's thrilling and terrifying at the same time.

But time also flies, as they say, when we're having fun.  Though I've been missing from this forum as of late, much has happened in real life, and the last six months have gifted us a veritable cornucopia of memorable moments.  It's easy to be thankful, and I thank my luck stars every day.  :D

So, on this Friday afternoon, I'm feeling somewhat reflective.  I thought I'd share a few recent life events with ya'all, just for fun.  Consider this fair warning: I may wander into Facebook territory a time or two, but rest assured we'll return to our regularly scheduled programming soon enough.

The first thing I can report--and the biggie on this list, is we have a new member of the family.


Chip (his Blogosphere Codename) was born June 11th, 9 lbs, 10 ounces, healthy--and happy, as was Momma and sister Muffin.  He's a big laugher already; we've taken to calling him Gigglebox among other nicknames.


Sister Muffin is in love with her brother, and needless to say we are all thrilled.  I guess if I had to have an excuse for not blogging too much, this is a pretty good one.

Other news from around here: Etna's been acting up, which has made for a few photo opportunities.


Caught this pic on an early morning run one day.


This one was taken from our yard.  No reason to be nervous.  We're miles away, and on a hill to boot!

I took up running again, which I am finding energizing and refreshing.  It's been right hot here in Sicily through August, but I managed OK.  I went out for the 9/11 Commemorative 5k, which was a blast--and such great weather!


As part of the run, they handed out slips of paper with the name of a 9/11 survivor on it.  We safety-pinned them to our T-shirts and ran in their honor.


A great event all round. (you can find out more about Babita Guman here).

We also capitalized on the abundance of fresh produce and other products made from fresh ingredients available on the economy.  When it's hot, there's nothing better than sitting down to a cold dinner of fresh peaches, cucumbers, peppers, prosciutto, cheeses, bread from the bakery down the road (panneficio in Italian), the list goes on.  Mmm mmm, good!


Finally, you may recall way back when that one of my goals for 2011 was to climb Mount Kilimanjaro, in Tanzania.  Turns out it's not gonna happen in 2011.  BUT I will head off in January 2012 to do the deed.  As a result, I've been doing tons of hiking and other climbing-related fitness activities in preparation, including this recent climb to the summit of Etna.


Boy, was that a blast!  But enough about me.  What fun non-writing stuff have you been up to lately?  Please, do tell! 

I'll wrap it up now, but not before I play you into the weekend with a song that's sounding particularly apropos to me right now.  Have a way groovy weekend!

6 bolts from the blue:

Liza said...

Glad you are making your way back! Congratulations on the arrival of your Chip (off the old block?). You have a lot ahead of you...sounds like a lot of fodder for future stories!

Yvonne Osborne said...

It's nice to catch a glimpse of a different place, and a beautiful one at that. I envy you your own active volcano (safe distance in mind) and that wonderful Italian food. I like your blog's side portraits. Every time I hear Kilimanjaro mentioned, I think of the short story by Hemingway. It looks like you were running by a prison yard, coils of barbed wire on the fence. A move back to the States will take a little aclimiating. Hell, it took me a week after only being gone for two, and that was only in the British Isles. Congrats on the beautiful baby and retirement. Does his daddy reaaly rock?)

Good to hear from you.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Does his daddy really rock? Can I spell acclimating? Damn I hate typos.....

DL Hammons said...

Chip is a cutie!!! Congrats Dad (and Mom). :)

jbchicoine said...

Oh my goodness! That is one stinking cute baby! (I'm sure he smells really good, though.) You have indeed been very busy and need make no excuses for your time away! (though it's nice to see you back.)

Jon Paul said...

Liza--Thanks! He's a real sweetheart, like Bogie used to say. Only time will tell if he's a chip off the old block. :D

Yvonne--The prison yard coil was actually the fence around the Navy base where I work. Keeps the crazies in--uh, er out. :P

DL--Thanks! Whatever good virtues he's inherited certainly come from Furnacegirl's side of the family.

JB--Thanks, and yeah, odors are interesting, shall we say?! On the excuses, I keep telling myself that but it's hard not to justify.

Thanks all for stopping by!

Waddaya wanna say?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

©2010 by Jon Paul | by San Antonio Web Design