Something Quite Peculiar

Saturday, September 17, 2011


A quick lazy-Saturday post today.  A few household chores to do, but not much on my plate this afternoon, which is a nice change of pace.  :)

Here in Sicily, the puffy white clouds and hot North African winds are finally starting to yield to cooler temperatures, a welcome change from three-months of non-stop heat.  But the nights here are pretty nice year round.  Since we're out in the country, the sky is a true sight to behold.  You can see miles and miles of stars spread about above your head, like scattered flecks of diamond dust adrift on a velvet black sea. 

Even though it's cooling down during the day, it's still hot enough for a swim, so we may take the kids down to the pool later this afternoon.  If I get a spare few moments, I may even have a look at my recent writing notes and see what's what. Even during this last break, long as it was, I still couldn't keep from making a few notes-to-self now and again.

I don't know about you, but when it comes to capturing story ideas and snippets, I'm a compulsive pack rat.  I jot scraps of dialogue, scene or story concepts, interesting words, character descriptions--you name it--down on slips of paper, or more commonly I type them ad hoc into the nearest MS Word-equipped computer.  With the various computers I use on a regular basis between work and home, things can get a little untidy after awhile--mostly because my filing system leaves something to be desired.  Kindle is also a good tool for keeping notes, and I use it voraciously.

So the writing job in front of me over the next few days is to scrounge through my collection and begin to decide where I'm gonna pick up again--a task I'm looking forward to with great anticipation.  :D

I also wanted to pass the details of a contest I am planning to enter, and you may find of interest.
Esquire and Aspen Writers' Association Short Short Fiction Contest

Win a trip to New York to study with Colum McCann, and a scholarship to the Aspen Summer Words Fiction Workshop. If you can beat Colum McCann (in 78 words). Starting now.

Deadline for submissions is October 7th.

Read more: http://shar.es/HTHIY
To get you through the balance of the weekend, I leave you with one of my favorite songs from the eighties.  Re-watching it this morning, I chuckled to see what passed muster for a music video way back when.

Have a great weekend, and stay groovy!

5 bolts from the blue:

Liza said...

Quite the contest. Good luck!

Jon Paul said...

Thanks Liza. I'm just using it as an excuse and writing exercise to try to find my rhythm. My plan is to write 10 and pick the best.

I may even share a few, if the feeling is right.

Thanks for stopping in, and for all your support! :D

WritingNut said...

You're so lucky it's still warm enough for a swim :) I'm already missing summer. Hope you get some writing done!

DL Hammons said...

I'm a uber pack-rat! Or in other words, I'm all dressed up with no where to go. :)

Jon Paul said...

WritingNut--With the exception of the depths of August, the weather here in Sicily is pretty nice year round. Kinda reminds me of my native state, Texas--which isn't a bad thing!

DL--I'm not sure about "no where to go"; give it some time, my friend. :D That's what I'm doing and it seems to be working.

Thanks guys for swinging by!

Waddaya wanna say?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

©2010 by Jon Paul | by San Antonio Web Design