Now Cometh The Kraken

Monday, October 17, 2011

 

Let's take a moment from all of our very busy lives and talk about something extremely important: sea monsters.

Yes.  Really.  :D

Actually, I'd like to talk about one kind of sea monster in particular: The Kraken.

(This is my entry for Sommer Leigh's month-long Monster Fest 2011.  You should go check it out immediately.  It's fine.  I'll wait here.  :D)

Afternoon snack?
Now when I say the word Kraken (Krake is singular), I see half of you--the Clash of the Titans fans!--nodding in profound understanding, while the other half are giving me the "What-on-earth-is-that?" raised eyebrow.  I'm with you.  On the list of imaginary, sea-vessel-crushing creatures of myth and legend (yes, such a list does exist), the Kraken don't really rank highly, do they?

I've always been a big fan of mythical creatures, the ones that lay on the edge of reality, that have a place both in the lives of our ancestors and in our own dreamscapes.  The belief in monsters lends a certain mystery to the world.  Isn't it the easiest thing to believe that rationality, common sense, reason--all that is scientific and easily derived--are the ways of the universe?  But where's the fun in that?  So much remains unexplained.  Much more of the world is born out of our fears and irrational obsessions than from a common understanding that two plus two equals four.

And you might be surprised to discover that ancient mythical sea monsters like the Kraken are still a part of our everyday lives.  Don't believe me?  Well, lemme tell ya 'bout it.  From Wikipedia:

Kraken are legendary sea monsters of giant proportions said to have dwelt off the coasts of Norway and Iceland....Later versions of the legend may have originated from sightings of real giant squid, which are variously estimated to grow to 13–15 m (40–50 ft) in length (including tentacles). These creatures normally live at great depths, but have been sighted at the surface and have reportedly attacked ships.

Numerous references to the Kraken exist in popular culture.  For example, as I touched on, the Kraken showed up in both versions (1981 and 2010) of Clash of The Titans, but do you remember it in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest?

Jack Sparrow: "Open up and say ahhh...savvy?"
The list of books that feature Kraken runs to several dozen as well, including Jule's Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, Terry Brooks' 1985 novel The Wishsong of Shannara, even a sonnet by Alfred Tennyson, among others.  And the Kraken have even shown their ugly mugs in comic books:

My copy is still in mint condition, in my underground vault, the one I won't tell anyone about.
There's also a rollercoaster that bears the name, at Sea World in Orlando.  Check out the review!

The scary part is when the coaster barrels through his ear canal.
Finally, and what I find most interesting, is there is a high-end spiced rum named--you guessed it!--The Kraken.

Goes extremely well with the "other other white meat."
Mmmm....what was I saying?
According to an article about the kit that the drink comes in:

The kit is set up as a "proof" kit, each element inside is one piece of proof that the mythical Kraken sea monster exists. It includes a Kraken tooth, Kraken ink, a log book, a scroll, a feather, movies of the Kraken, and lastly a bottle of The Kraken.

See?  There's proof.  That the Kraken exist, I mean.  Or, it's mostly proof...?


OK, well, let's say there's a bit of a academic tussle over whether the Kraken did in fact exist.  But who are they kidding?  They're just a bunch of scientists.  They don't understand one jot or tittle about myth and legend.  They can't even wrap their over-reasonable brains around the concepts of fear and irrationality.  Not like we fiction writers can, right?

:D

*****
It's not too late to get over and check out all the posts for Friday's Pay It Forward Blogfest.  Plus, the Rule of Three Blogfest is entering it's 3rd week, so stay tuned, and have a blastin' groovy Monday while you're at it!

13 bolts from the blue:

Michael Offutt said...

I think that the kraken did exist. Everything in the prehistoric era was enormous. I don't know why...but stuff just grew bigger back then.

Joshua said...

No love for Ceto?

Liza said...

I never heard of at Kraken until Pirates of the Caribbean. Creepy!

DG Hudson said...

Thanks for following, Jon.

Re Kraken - I'd forgotten about those guys.
Guess old monsters don't go away either, they just find a boat to crunch.

Lola Sharp said...

Oh we have lots of Kraken references in this house. Not the least of which is if someone bends over and shows ass crack, "Kraken Kills!" gets hollered.
We're weird. :)

Donelle Lacy said...

I love the Kraken. Definitely one of the bigger, badder sea monsters out there. (I dig me some Loch Ness Monster, too.) I think what's so scary about squid/octopus monsters is that they're so smart and yet slippery, slimy and huge. Having something after you that can reach you wherever you are and is as smart as you is darn scary!

Also, I SO wanna be a part of this thing - Monsterfest. It isn't too late, is it? *goes to check it out*

Yvonne Osborne said...

I wouldn't dispute the possibility of unknown things living in the deep. It is, afterall, the last frontier. Your Kraken looks like a baby octopus! Kinda ugly....wouldn't want to step on one.

Suzanne Casamento said...

Sea Monsters are everywhere! Who knew?

Apparently the Monsterfest people. I'm going to check it out right away! ;)

WritingNut said...

Haha.. I was going to say the same thing as Yvonne.. definitely looks like a baby octopus.. kind of cute....

TirzahLaughs said...

Like the one eyed octopus, they won't believe until it destroys them.

:)

T

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Very cool! I've actually ridden the roller coaster version. Once was enough.

Jon Paul said...

Michael--Yeah. Maybe it was radiation or something... ;)

Joshua--Perhaps I should have mentioned they called him Ceto, but that just sounded like a cheesy '60's spaghetti Western to me. You know: Coming soon: "The Called Him Ceto!" :P

Liza--I had forgotten about Pirates until I did my "research"--uh, er, Googled it.

DG--Sounds like the standard sea-monster MO.

Lola--No, that's not weird at all. *averts eyes* :D

Donelle--No it's not too late. And yeah: slimy = willies.

Yvonne--Yeah, I think we still have a fair bit to learn about the deep.

Suzanne--Awesome!

WritingNut--Looks can be deceiving...

Tirzah--YES!

Alex--Thanks for the follow. I'd be interested in hearing if the Kraken rollercoaster lived up to it's name...

Thank you all for kindly stopping by! Have a groovy Thursday!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I know this is really late (I just found your blog) but that last photo is so cute!

"I shall call him 'Squishy' and he shall be mine. And he shall be my squishy."

Waddaya wanna say?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

©2010 by Jon Paul | by San Antonio Web Design