Day 17: Superstition

Thursday, November 17, 2011


Have you ever noticed how superstition tends to run in mostly one direction?

Superstition seems intimately linked with unusual runs of good luck.  For the batter on a long hitting streak, or the Las Vegas slot player sliding coin after coin into her favorite one-armed bandit, small decisions become very important.  Eat a bucket of chicken before the game.  Cash out after every win.  The slightest variation in the way we approach an endeavor can knock things off track and send the good luck fairies scattering away to spread their good fortune elsewhere. 

A crash after a long run of success can easily be blamed on not wearing lucky socks, or forgetting to knock on wood.  It happens all the time.  How many times have you found yourself talking about how well you are going to do something, and then stopped mid-sentence, realizing you were setting yourself up?  Invariably, you go on to crash and burn, almost as a kind of punishment, and your friends laugh at you.  :D

I'm in that zone now with my NaNo story.  Really.  So I've come up with an antidote.  As of now, I'm putting every one of you on notice.  This weekend, I'm gonna eat it, big time.  Really.  I'm not joking.  Probably have a couple of zero wordcount days.  I'll probably delete a couple thousand words by accident.  I tell ya, I can feel it:  I'm gonna fall flat on my face and scream: "I've fallen and I can't get up."

Good luck fairies, you hearing me?  :D

Have a great Thursday everyone, and enjoy good ole Stevie, doin' his thang!!!

5 bolts from the blue:

Joshua said...

I'm behind right now, and I'm going to be out of pocket starting tonight. I'm really not sure how I'm going to make it to 50K now. Good luck AND BACK UP YOUR STORY!!!

WilyBCool said...

It is amazing how we create our own luck.

When we are negative we cut ourselves off from creativity and opportunities. When we are positive, we become creative and options make themselves available to us!

;D

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wily is right.
And I'm the most unsuperstitious person I know.

Donna Hole said...

That's the spirit JP :) Don't let doom scare you away.

I've been away from bloggerland mostly through this month; but I've been reading through some of your back posts and I like how positive you've been. I read your interview at Chris K's and I don't know how I missed your casting call post.

So do take that well deserved break; take in the favorite sights around your city, love on your family, and watch Black Hawk Down again as a refresher course. Indeed Sir, you will make your own luck with the story b/c you had the good sense to ease back at just the right moment :)

All you gotta do to get your groove on again is to look at your cover and be moved by that awesome tag line.

Besides, if you don't finish this, how will I get to read it :(

Somehow you've dropped off my reader/dashboard. I thought I was following you; don't know what happened. Well, I'll fix that . .

........dhole

Travener said...

If you've written one word this month, you're way ahead of me, dude!

Plow through it. Close your eyes and go for it.

Waddaya wanna say?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

©2010 by Jon Paul | by San Antonio Web Design