Day 20: Step Outside

Sunday, November 20, 2011


There are not many downsides to living in one's head all the time.  Balancing the different elements of one's life--friends, family, work, fiction--can be a challenge, but all in all, the payoffs are worth it IMHO.

I have come across one thing I miss: spending more time outside.  When I first joined the Navy, I worked as an aviation electrician's mate (this was before I got picked up to be a pilot).  This meant I spent tons of time out of doors, and that was one of my favorite parts of the job.

But I am starting to see a trend here with writing fiction, especially if I am ever fortunate enough to be able to do it full time.  I have this image of myself, several years older, emerging from the dark cavern of my office, pale-skinned, eyes round and white like teacup saucers, after having written fiction for three days straight.  Sunshine?  What's that?

So I'm taking a breather this afternoon.  Maybe I'll go outside, live in the sun for a few hours.  Who knows what might happen?  The sky's the limit!

And what kind of music best captures that ray of sunshine optimism, the best anthem for stepping out a bit?  How 'bout a little shot of Britpop for starters.  Anyhoo, enjoy this video, and I hope, wherever you are, you're having a blast!!!

3 bolts from the blue:

farawayeyes said...

Amen to that. Meet you at the beach. Hope you like Reggae.

Yvonne Osborne said...

I know what you mean. Sometimes I fear my ass is going to fuse to my chair and my fingertips to my keyboard. I'd go outside today if it wasn't so damn windy. I hate windy days and that's all we have anymore. Maybe I will anyway. You've inspired my to NaNo next year. I'm going to tell everyone so.

DL Hammons said...

I'm at that point in my life that I don't mind being cooped up. I've spent my time in the sun with the kids, family, friends. They don't need me as much anymore and I get more enjoyment doing this. :)

Waddaya wanna say?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

©2010 by Jon Paul | by San Antonio Web Design