Day 28: I Shall Believe

Monday, November 28, 2011


For me, the NaNo dust is beginning to settle.  The excitement and pressure of getting to 50k is gone, replaced now by the warm afterglow of success--although I keep pinching myself as I strive to remember that I still have another half a novel to complete.

And along with that excitement, other things have fled too.  Confidence, for one.  Some reflection and review has shown there is much work yet to be done on what I've already written, and that of course becomes and easy cause for pause. 

I suppose, though I spend most of my days with my head in the clouds, both literally and figuratively, I've never really been great at pressing the 'I believe' button.  I don't know if it's my upbringing or 20 years of military service which has made my outlook so pragmatic and unyielding, but I find I must see some shred of evidence--even proof sometimes--before the tenor of my outlook softens from the hardcore skeptic I am most of the time.

But boundless optimism is a prerequisite in this business, don't you think?  How can one stick it out, month after month, year after year, writing in a quiet room, all alone (or mostly so), hoping one day someone will read your book and like it, if you aren't optimistic?  It can't be done.  So I'm learning to look on the bright side and--yet another tool in my toolbox!--to believe!  Yep, and it feels pretty good.

Less than 48 hours 'til this thing is over.  How you feeling?

P. S.  The Golden Eagle has added his voice to our Songfest.  Go check out his selection here!  Thanks Eagle!  :D

7 bolts from the blue:

Claire Dawn said...

I've still got 9,000 words to go in 2 days.

Nice thoughts. It is hard on your own. And even when you're surrounded, in some ways a writer is always on their own.

Love Sheryl Crow. Haven't listened to her in way too long. And this song is perfect for the writing process.

Angeline said...

I hit 50k 3 days ago, and, although I haven't finished my 1st draft, the adrenaline of NaNo has gone. I keep forgetting it's still November!

Must rediscover that motivation.

farawayeyes said...

I gotta say I really missed you the past two days. I hate to be so needy...but you know...writers.

I've always been a believer. I've been to the mountain and seen it move. Some days I need a wrap upside the head to be reminded, But,it's always just right out there. Believing...that is.

I believe that: "whatever we do in life, we have to do alone. We have our support group or our lone supporter, but at the end of the day. If it's to be, it's up to me. BUT, if we do it with HEART, the whole world celebrates with us."

I celebrate with you my friend. You seem like one of the good guys. One of the heroes and today 'Heroes are Hard to Find'.

I've fallen completely in love with NaNo. Yeah,I know, I'm easy. It has been an incredible roller coaster for me and I loving it all the way,even when I'm sleep deprived and a little more than crazed. I'm at 79k+. Probably won't finish the first draft by the 30th,but I wrote the ending today,the last three chapters. It just kept playing over and over in my head and I thought better get it down before it goes away. I cried,it was that good or maybe I'm that sleep deprived. Whatever. I will finish and I will publish.

You still haven't played my favorite tune although some great ones. Course,you probably wouldn't feel my favorite tune the way I do.I'll give you a hint. Rolling Stones,late 70's. slow and whiny. I kind of sticks with me.

Here I am again and I can't seem to shut it. I'll be back tomorrow.

Jon Paul said...

Claire--You got it in you, girl. I want you to go and get it! :D

Angeline--Yep! Me has the same problem. But I'll stay after it.

Barbara--It's good to be missed, although I regret making anyone miss me. Just needed a break, I think, but back to business now.

And yeah: NaNo is the coolest! :D

Thanks ladies for stopping in!

DL Hammons said...

Congrats on winning NaNo! And you're right, optimisim is a prerequsite for us writing types. Trust in your story...but more importantly...trust in yourself! :)

Joshua said...

I'm going to win it tonight. Yes, yes I am. (I'll also watch that link tonight since YouTube is blocked at work.)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Congrats!!! I'm over the word count finish line, but not ready to "validate" my word count yet. I don't know that it's possible for me to finish the rought draft of my novel today . . .knowing that it needs lots added to it, but I have this hope to just write one more chapter before I say that I'm done with NaNo for the month.
And yes, we have to be optimists, and look through the embers and ashes of the fiery mess we've written this month for something to spark the next step of our writing.

Waddaya wanna say?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

©2010 by Jon Paul | by San Antonio Web Design