Day 5: Pure Imagination

Saturday, November 5, 2011



NaNo, Day 5!

I'm feeling a little retrospective today.  I guess it's sortof a weekend thing.  Less going on--at least as far as the work routine goes.  And it's also nice to spend some much needed time with the family.

I hope this post finds you well and moving up that thin gray line on the Nano Stats tab.  If you're like me, then the initial energy of getting started, of being excited about the idea is starting to fade, even if the shift is barely perceptible.  In another few days we'll get into the territory where the act of scribing all these words on the page will stop feeling like a sprint and start feeling like a marathon.  It's not that the idea and the characters aren't speaking to us any longer; rather the day in, day out of the grind will begin to take its toll.  Fatigue will begin to set in.

And that is when we need to revisit some of why we're doing this, to keep the batteries recharged.  And to remember why this story inspired us, and to continue to fuel the fire of imagination that is the engine that keeps us moving forward.

So enjoy this great video--an amalgam of my personal favorites: Gene Wilder singing "Pure Imagination" from the movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, paired with amazing footage from one of the most imaginative companies making films today: Pixar.

Stay with it.  And have a great weekend!  :D

8 bolts from the blue:

Tyrean Martinson said...

Love the quote and the video!!! Just what I needed for a "pick me up" this morning as I get going on an unexpectedly busy Saturday. (Hopefully I'll find some time to rest, and write too)

farawayeyes said...

A thousand thank yous. Absolutely amazing.

PurpleMist. said...

GOOD LUCK!
I love how you're keeping us updated :)

Sommer Leigh said...

Happy NaNo Day Five!
Hopefully the initial excitement is still going strong, but if not I've come with a toolbox of inspiration. Ready?

First, quote of the day: Don't give up what you want most for what you want right now.

Second, NaNo Tip of the Day: Don't forget to reward yourself. It is often easier to notice our lagging word count numbers than to notice how far we've already come.

Good luck!!! Just keep writing!!!

WilyBCool said...

Awesome video!!!! Thank you for sharing ;D What a sad an poor place society would be without imagination and those who are not afraid to use it! (Deep bow)

Michael Offutt said...

Great video. Pure imagination must be the soul of wit (along with brevity).

chris said...

Love it JP. Thanks for sharing. I'm stealing it :-)

Chris

Jon Paul said...

Tyrean--Great! I hope the writing goes well!

Barbara--Anytime!

PurpleMist--Good luck to you too!

Sommer--Thanks for the encouragement!

Wily--You can say that again, man!

Michael--I agree.

Chris--Thanks my brother! And steal away!

Thanks friends for stumbling through my little corner of the internets! :D

Waddaya wanna say?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

©2010 by Jon Paul | by San Antonio Web Design