Dreams of Kilimanjaro

Monday, January 9, 2012


Blog-wise, I've kept a low profile recently, as you've no doubt noticed.  To tell you the truth, I never expected to take the entire month of December off.  Truly.  But you've heard the story before: a break for a few days turned into a week, the week turned into three weeks, and before I knew it, an entire month had passed without so much as a whisper from me.

This is not to say that I haven't been busy.  In fact, as excuses go for not blogging, I have several pretty good ones.  At least I think they're pretty good, but then again, I'm probably pretty biased about my own reasons for doing things.  :D

Of course, like everyone else, I had Christmas to contend with, and New Years.  My birthday is the last day of the year, so there was some planning and activity related to that.  Oh, and did I mention that we're moving back to the States in less than 25 days?  Yeah, the movers already came and took our stuff.  We're living like denizens of a strange trailer park where they provide you a cabin, but very little in the way of furniture or other sundries like pots, plates or silverware.  We have not yet succumbed to eating off paper plates, but we're only a lazy-don't-want-to-wash-dishes night away.  Needless to say, life has been interesting.

But the big doozie, the one I've been spending many of my waking moments working on is pictured above.  I leave this afternoon to fly to Tanzania for three weeks.  Planned adventures include climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, a short safari, and generally enjoying all that that part of the world offers in the way of tourismistic bliss.  (Long time readers may recall this item on my 2011 goal list).

And it's funny, because this little jaunt ties in with writing.  Let me explain.  I first decided to climb Kili way back in 1993, after I read Michael Crichton's Travels where he relates his experience climbing the mountain.  Something about the idea of it stuck with me, and it's been on my bucket list ever since.  Even now, it's hard for me to wrap my head around the idea that a book can affect someone so much, but, well, there it is--and it's certainly one of the reasons why I'm so interested in writing fiction.

Some may laugh that it's taken me nearly 20 years to realize my goal, but when I hear those chuckles, I just nod my head.  I see my writing career the same way.  I may not be a best-selling author next week or next year, but if I keep my eye on the target, don't forget why I'm really doing it, and keep working, someday--with luck!--I'll get there.

So, I just wanted to pop in and fill ya'all in on the details.  If I get a few more spare moments this afternoon, I may see about preparing some oldy but goody posts to autopost in the weeks while I'm gone.  And of course, I'm taking my journal and will have the whole story to share when I get back.

Wish me luck--and don't forget to stay groovy!  :D

8 bolts from the blue:

Summer Frey said...

!!!! Wow!!! You are always an inspiration, JP. I mean, wow. There really aren't any platitudes to match up to the occasion, so keep being groovy. ;)

And we can't wait for you to be state-side again!

Misha Gericke said...

Oh wow that is so exciting. Take a lot of pictures. I can't wait to see. :-)

Claire Dawn said...

Nice metaphor. And I love that you got the idea from a book. What power we have as writers!

farawayeyes said...

FIRST - Luck
SECOND - Good for you! It's not about how long it take you to get there, it's about staying focused and the getting.
THIRD - Happy for you, but I'm jealous as hell.

WilyBCool said...

I wish you the greatest of adventures!!! I hope that you are able to find glory in the simple and contrast in the grande. ;D Good travels.

Joshua said...

Color me jealous. Enjoy the trip, stay safe, and take plenty of pictures to share.

jbchicoine said...

Oh wow! Please be safe and share lots when you get back! :D

Jon Paul said...

Thanks guys! I made it to Tanzania, and am suprised to have internet connectivity, although it is spotty. We head out on the climb tomorrow and I expect to return to the hotel on the 23rd--so I'll see if it's possible to check back in then.

Oh and one more thing: THANKS SO MUCH for all the support! It means a lot. I've been journaling like crazy and will (I hope) have a great tale to tell when I get home.

More to follow! :D

Waddaya wanna say?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

©2010 by Jon Paul | by San Antonio Web Design